When Does My Car Need a Service?
Over the past couple of years, we haven’t been using our cars so much, meaning that the annual ritual of service and MOT has been lost for many people. If you’re one of them, this blog brings you up to speed with when you should book in a service, why it’s necessary, and how your car tells you if it needs one.
The answer to ‘When does my car need a service’ will vary slightly for each model. The Country Vehicles advice, though, is to book in a vehicle service every 12,000 miles, or once a year, whichever comes around first. Keeping to this schedule, whatever the age of your vehicle, provides peace of mind that your car is safe to drive and running at its best.
The Pros and Cons of Regular Vehicle Servicing
We’ve heard the argument that it’s cheaper to wait to till there’s a problem to be fixed, rather than having a yearly service. We understand the economic rationale – especially in these cash-strapped times – but obviously we come down on the side of regular servicing; here’s why:
Pros of Servicing
- Your mechanic is on the look out for minor faults which are fairly cheap to fix. If left, they can become expensive to fix.
- Regular servicing keeps your car on the road longer.
- A regularly serviced car holds its value better.
Cons of Servicing
This comes down to one thing; the annual cost, which may tempt you to let it go for a year. Rather than take this risk, we recommend that you shop around for the best, most affordable option. Dealerships tend to be more expensive than local independent garages. Even if your car is still in warranty, an independent garage can carry out a service that won’t invalidate it.
4 Signs Your Car Needs a Service
If you’re not sure when your car last had a service, look out for these signs telling that you should book one sooner rather than later:
- Service Dashboard Sign. Bit of an obvious one, this. You may see SERVICE or a spanner icon which is a clear signal that your car needs attention.
- Frequent Stalling. This is a classic sign that your spark plugs need replacing – which is a simple, quick job. It could be more serious though, so get it checked.
- Juddering. If your car is vibrating or juddering it could be a pressure plate defect, an oil leak creating problems with the clutch plate, or spark plugs. Whichever, there’s a problem, so get it looked at.
- Brake Problems. Worn brake pads can require greater pressure on the brake pedal to slow your vehicle. Equally, poorly performing brakes can be a symptom of leaking brake fluid. Make sure your brakes are in perfect health by booking in a service.
About Country Vehicles Shefford
We are an independent garage based in Shefford and serving South Bedfordshire. The CVS team offer vehicle servicing, MOT, and repairs. As a local garage we have a number of customers who know us well and stay with us for years, trusting us to look after their vehicles as if they were our own. Most important, we listen to our customers, understand their needs, and they can count on us to go the extra mile for them.
If you’re wondering if your car needs a service call Country Vehicles on 01234 381555, message us online, or pop in to see us.